“The fastest way to correct a behaviour is to be aware of it in real time, not after-the-fact.”
Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Body
Simply use your camera phone to take a snapshot of every meal, snack and drink you consume for the week.
Read up on CrossFit Nutrition and other great resources at our Nutrition page before you start. For sizing, put your hand next to each item or plate in the photograph.
The goal is to bring awareness to everything you consume throughout the day -
- Do you eat the same “bad” foods over and over again?
- Do you snack on high-glycemic index foods (sugar-filled snacks like biscuits, chocolate, lollies) rather than nutritient-dense foods?
- Do you eat on the run or do you sit down for meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner)?
- How much water do you really drink each day?
- Likewise, how many glasses of wine or beer to you really drink each day?
- If you have a “blow-out” do you jump straight back into your healthy eating plan, or do you let it fall by the wayside?
- How many meals do you prepare yourself, or are most of your meals eaten out, pre-made or take-away?
As a general rule, processed foods are usually “white” carbohydrates and include all breads, rice (including brown rice), cereal, pasta, wraps and fried food with breading. The obvious processed foods – like lollies, chocolates, icecream, biscuits and cake – are also included in the elimination list. Try also to avoid high-glycemic index foods, like potatoes.
We also recommend eating organic, grass-fed and wild-caught when ever possible. Support your local farmers and buy WA grown, shop the farmers’ markets for the freshest, in-season and organic fruits and vegetables. Click here to find your nearest farmers’ market.